Thursday 19 February 2015

Homemade Salami & Chorizo



The salami recipe I'm using is spot on, straight from the River Cottage Handbook. The chorizo recipe isn't, I'm simply chucking some paprika into the salami recipe. It shouldn't be far off!

Here's the basic salami recipe:

1150g minced pork
70g back fat
1 garlic clove
18g pepper corns
small glass of red wine
2% of the above combined weight in salt

With regards the back fat, initially I struggled to get hold of it. Even the family butcher on the high street didn't have it. Amazingly Morrisons were virtually giving in away. Just take the skin off. The back fat in underneath.




The pepper corns should be lightly bashed up. Ideally you want big lumps of pepper. It's a bit of a pain. I paid a small child a chocolate biscuit to smash mine up.




My ingredients weighed 1285g so I added 26g of salt. I then split the mixture and blathered one half in paprika.


Then...shock horror. I pulled out the hog casings and it looks like I've over salted them the last time I put them away. They're rock hard. I chucked them straight into water. I'll have to wait a few hours now to see if the water revives them. If not I've have to go and beg the butcher on the high street for some.



It came back to life after 5 hours in warm water. Next just fill 'em up using your sausage making machine!



Stick them up in the loft and check on them weekly. They should be ready in six weeks or so!


I'll post a pic every week so that the mould can be observed! Mould = Tasty

No comments:

Post a Comment