Saturday 7 March 2015

Bresaola - Air Cured Beef

This is my first bash at this, but I can't really see how anything could possibly go wrong. As it's my first go I've gone for a small piece of beef, but a nice organic one!


So the rule with this is to cure for 24 hours per 500g and then hang for 3 weeks. The curing is done in two stages, one dry and then one wet. For a piece of beef this size I'm curing it for 30 hours, 15 dry and then 15 wet.

For the dry cure you need 3% of weight in sea salt (Maldons), but I'm using 4% as 3% didn't look like enough to me. Then you add whatever flavouring you fancy. I've gone with chilli flakes, freshly cracked pepper corns, torn bay leaf, juniper berries and cloves.


Then 'dredge' your beef through the salt making sure that all size are nicely covered. Pop in the fridge and re-dredge every now and then. It needs 15 hours in all.


At 7am I'll get on with the next bit.



No comments:

Post a Comment